This summarizes the major steps taken by Touching Hearts to minimize the risk of disease spread among our clients and caregivers.
Mandatory Pre-employment Measures
- PPD testing: We have mandatory pre-employment PPD testing (for Tuberculosis)
- Video Training/Testing: Our mandatory pre-employment video training/testing covers the subject of ways to avoid transmitting communicable diseases
- Pre-employment Orientation: Our mandatory in-person orientation covers the subject of how to avoid transmitting communicable diseases and other safety measures
Personal Protective Equipment
- Gloves: We provide vinyl/synthetic gloves to all employees
- Masks: We provide face masks to all our employees
- Hand Sanitizer: We make hand sanitizer available to all our employees
Employee Wellness Benefit
- EZAccessMD: Every employee is eligible for a telemedicine service called EZAccessMD at no cost to them. (Touching Hearts pays for it.) This benefit enables them and their families to immediately access medical doctors via phone 24/7 and same-day diagnostic tests in their homes their own home, thereby enabling them to detect and treat illnesses early and at no cost.
- Free Flu shot: Touching Hearts pays for employees to get the flu shot annually.
- Check-in: During phone check-in for every shift employees must answer questions about their current health to ensure they are not likely to spread a virus
- Hand Washing: Employees are required to wash their hands at the beginning and end of every shift.
- Use of PPE: Employees are required to use PPE as the situation dictates.
- Call out/Change of Condition: During call-out for every shift employees must state whether their has been a change in the client’s condition. They must also report any health concerns to the office.
- Employee Sickness: Employees are required to notify our office if they are feeling sick the day of a scheduled shift
- Not Providing Services in COVID-positive Client Circumstances
- The company will not provide services for a client know to be COVID-positive. The company will not provide services within 14 days for a client who has had direct exposure to a COVID-positive person
- Leave of Absence for COVID-positive Employee Circumstances
- The company will give a leave of absence to employees who are COVID-positive, who have particular health vulnerabilities to COVID, and who have had direct exposure to others with COVID. They will not work with clients during this time. For COVID-exposed employees, they must pass a 14 day quarantine period before returning to work.
- Other PPE
- The company has provided wipes, soap, cloth masks to many caregivers and clients in the months of March and April 2020 and will continue to do so at request during the COVID crisis as supplies last.