“Respite” means short term relief from something that is difficult. Providing at home senior care can be the most rewarding experience in one’s life, but it can likewise be very stressful and demanding. Experts in senior care advise primary caregivers to seek support and periodic respite from their demanding care giving activities to focus on themselves and to pursue other important aspects of their lives. This is critical to long term, effective care giving and avoiding “caregiver burn out”.
Touching Hearts senior companions can provide much needed respite for the caregivers of elders. Whether part of a regular schedule or a one-time event, our caregivers can fill in for family members temporarily to ensure their loved ones are safe and comfortable at home. In many cases, respite care at home is better received by elders than moving temporarily to a respite care facility, which can be disruptive to their daily routines.
- Provide 24/7 in home care to “cover” when family caregivers go out of town, take vacation, etc.
- Give primary caregivers daily or weekly breaks
- Check in to monitor safety while family is away
- Reassure anxious elders and provide social support
- Perform physical tasks primary caregivers themselves find too difficult
- Family caregivers can take time off with peace of mind
- Reduction in caregiver burnout and stress, thereby enabling the caregiver to be more effective at her role over time
- Elders stay at home safely and comfortably when their family is away